Monday 3 June 2013

Who I want as the twelfth Doctor

As I'm sure you have heard by now that Matt Smith is leaving his role as the loveable Doctor in hit BBC series Doctor Who. Whilst his exit from the show is causing an emotional breakdown in the fandom, people are now speculating about who will fill his awfully large size 10 shoes.

My main contender and favourite is Alex Vlahos 
He made it onto the scene by playing Mordred in Merlin and since has been in several other small series or side projects. He is set to be in a production of Macbeth and he has also recorded new episodes of The Confessions of Dorian Gray, the popular BBC radio production, as well as an adaptation of The Picture of Dorian Gray. 
However, I think seeing as he lives in Wales (where a lot of the series is filmed) and is a fantastic actor who is still relatively unknown as Smith was at the time of his casting I believe that Vlahos would make an excellent new Doctor: plus he just kind of has that Doctor-ish look about him doesn't he?

One thing for certain though I definitely do not want a woman to be the next Doctor; I know all the feminists want this to happen but honestly I think it would ruin the whole dynamic of the show. Also seeing as Jenna-Louis Coleman is staying on as the companion to have a woman be the Doctor their relationship just wouldn't be the same. Another possibility is a black Doctor; whilst colour doesn't matter to me, I don't see why there has to be a black Doctor and why there is so much pressure on the casting agents for the BBC. At the end of the day they will pick someone with amazing talent regardless of their colour. I think that the BBC should really think about casting someone relatively unknown like Vlahos so we are not tied down to other personalities or prejudgement before we even see his/(possibly her's) first episode. Either way I physically cannot wait until that announcement is made about who will be the next in a long chain of incredible Doctors all popular for their different personalities. Maybe this is what the show needs: a new Doctor to breathe a new ray of light on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment