Thursday 26 June 2014

CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE by CASSANDRA CLARE

City of Heavenly Fire
By Cassandra Clare
Published: May 2014
Publisher: Walker Books
Genre: YA, fantasy

"In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...
Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!" - taken from Goodreads


Before I start with my review, you should know that you should read The Infernal Devices BEFORE you read City of Heavenly Fire, as there are mentions in COHF that you probably wont get if you haven't read them. I actually hadn't read them and I had to skip over a few pages so I didn't get spoiled for the prequel series.

As you may know I have my problems with The Mortal Instruments series but I do love and appreciate the world, in TMI it's mainly the characters that bother me so much. However after having a six book series and not reading the last one despite my issues with the series in general would have been stupid. So on the release day I went to my local Waterstones and picked up the massive brick that is City Of Heavenly Fire. I actually managed to read the book in about a day and a half which I must be honest I was pretty impressed with myself, seeing as it is over 700 pages, but I was just so hooked!

The characters, Clary and Jace predominately, were not half as irritating as they usually are and there was actual communication between the characters (finally!! It only took them five books to get there!) therefore making Clary and Jace readable rather than wanting to throw the book at them. Simon, Isabelle and even Alec were all hilarious and added light to the story which is fairly dark.

*spoilers from here on*

The deaths in this book for a last book in a large series were to be honest quite disappointing. The main characters got out barley with a bruise between them, even Issy who was nearly on deaths row for like two pages made a miraculous recovery and was back to fighting demons a few pages on. Of course, I understand that Shadowhunters get back up when they are down quickly, but I mean seriously? I did feel as though it was a bit of a cop out by not killing anyone significant enough for it to leave a mark. So when Simon lost his memories I thought that that was going to be the emotion in the book, however, I did roll my eyes at how even though a Greater Demon stole his memories, he could get them back so quickly that he could attend Jocelyn's wedding. It was nice and I was happy but I was also kind of disappointed.

However, on the whole I felt like it was pretty good finale of a large series, and I can definitely see why fans of the series are so happy with it, and to be honest, I won't say I didn't enjoy it because I did.


4.5-5/STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment