Thursday 24 July 2014

THE SELECTION by KIERA CASS

The Selection
by Kiera Cass
Published: April 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
Genre: YA, Dystopian, Contemporary

"In a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels the Selection is the chance of a lifetime: to compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's ear. But for America Singer it means turning her back on her secret love, and leaving home for a prize she doesn't want.

Then America meets Maxon and all her plans start to crumble. Can the life she's always dreamed of compare to a future she never imagined?" - taken from Goodreads

Interestingly enough I went into this book slightly sceptical as I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. I was pleasantly surprised though and ended up actually enjoying it and reading it in about two sittings. The Selection is the first in a trilogy and is advertised as a 'girly dystopian'. To be honest, I felt like it fitted a little better with a contemporary as the whole premise of the book is basically having a bachelor-esque TV show so that the prince can find a wife but the slight hints towards a dystopian setting were very well done.

The world is a very interesting concept, Illea, has a system were people are ranked between One and Eight via birth right, One being a royal and Eight being effectively a homeless person, each Caste as they are called have specific jobs, for example, being a Five, which is what America was before the Selection had jobs in the arts, so she was a singer and musician as well as her mother and her father was a painter. I felt like later in the story there were some subtle hints that things aren't quite right with the history of the world but they are skirted over pretty quickly. 

I went into this book with the knowledge that America is an annoying character, I didn't necessarily feel that annoyed about her although she of course had her moments. I did feel like she changed her mind about Maxon very quickly considering everything but I guess thats what happens when you are amongst 35 girls fighting for his attention. 

I had no real issues with this book and enjoyed it as a light, fluffy read, it is certainly one I can see myself re-reading. Not perfect but certainly not too shabby. 


4/5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment