Monday 5 January 2015

2015 BOOKISH RESOLUTIONS


A new year, a new me. Or so the saying goes... whilst I don't believe that anyone fully changes on New Years Eve, I do enjoy setting particular goals I would like to achieve in the new year. 2015 is set to be a massive year for me personally but I almost never follow through with personal resolutions so instead I will set some goals for my reading instead.

1. In 2014 I set myself a goal of reading 30 books, which I achieved before mid year and so increased it to 45 and then just let myself see how many more I could read. I ended up reading 80 books which I am very happy with. This year I even debated not setting a Goodreads goal, but when the time came along I decided that I wanted to put my goal to 50 books, I feel like this is manageable because it is just under a book a week so hopefully it will be okay, however, I won't mind if I have to reduce the goal, its not set in stone or anything, but I feel happy.

2. As for the book buying, well that is something that definitely needs to be tackled, I expanded my collection by two whole bookcases this year, which is frankly ridiculous. I will not put myself on a book ban because I never stick to those and instead just think about the books I wish I could be buying and then binge when the ban ends and that defeats the whole object. Instead, I will place a limit, so for example if I were to buy 5 books at a time I will need to make sure I have read at least 1 or 2 before I consider buying anymore. Also, I will make sure that I read a lot of reviews and opinions before I buy a book I am unsure about rather than just buying it anyway and either being disappointed or it never getting read. There have been a few instants where I have purely only brought something because I saw one good review on it and then it ended up siting on my shelf unread for months and months.

3. Work on my blog more often and write reviews as soon as I have read the books instead of waiting a few months and then having to try and remember what I thought about them.

4. In 2015 there are a few books on my shelves that I definitely want to read, because they have been there for a while. They are...
  • Gone by Michael Grant
  • Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
  • The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Braken
  • The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon 
  • The Kings Curse by Philippa Gregory 
5. I would like to read more graphic novels this year, I have enjoyed all the ones that I have read but I am often put off by the price so hopefully if I buy less novels I can buy more graphic novels.

That is about it, I can't think of anymore, the book buying will definitely be stunted because I will (hopefully) be going to university in September and will be living on a student budget, so it will be a case of buying food or buying books... I think we all know which is more important.......(books) I kid, I kid...

Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment